Moultrie M-990i is one of the flagship trail camera models in the Moultrie’s line-up. It has also been one of the favorite no-glow trail cameras among the hunters since its introduction in 2013. This 2014 model has some minor tweaks compared to 2013 model but essentially it is still the same, brilliant trail camera.
Feature-wise M-990i is neck and neck with other popular no-glow models on the market. However M990i is typically about $20 more expensive than models like Browning Dark Ops and Stealth Cam G42NG. Thus it is hard to say if this Moultrie model can be included among the affordable models or not. We decided to add it to our site anyway since you may encounter some offers in Amazon.com where this model is sometimes sold at discount making it making it more cost competitive.
Moultrie M-990i is a 10 megapixel camera that can record up to 90 second HD video clips with sound. Both the daytime and night time images are nearly flawless.
With this model Moultrie has really succeeded fine tuning the night time shooting. Taking into consideration that this camera uses no-glow flash that are famous of producing darkish pictures, the nigh time shots of M-990i are beautiful.
There are no big flaws when it comes detecting the objects either. PIR sensor of the camera detects heat and motion up to 50 ft and the camera triggers in less than one second. Recovery time is approx. 5 seconds which is quite typical for today’s trail cameras. Setting up the camera is a breeze thanks to LCD display that can be used as a live preview screen when mounting the camera. Also testing the detection zone of the camera can be done quite easily after the mounting.
Moultrie M-990i is packed with all the bells and whistles you expect to find from a trail camera of this price range. The trigger delay is programmable; camera is capable of taking multi-shots or function in Burst Mode. You can also select the time lapse mode or operate the camera in hybrid mode where the camera works both in time lapse and PIR mode. There are actually so many different features that it is recommended to familiarize yourself with all the options at your home, with the user manual, before going out in the field.
There have never been big flaws in case designs of Moultrie trail cameras and this one is no exception. The casing is sturdy, weather proof and painted with nice Mossy Oak® Treestand Camouflage pattern. The battery tray slides from the bottom of the camera and holds 8 AA alkaline or lithium batteries. Moultrie claims that this model can take even up to 13,000 images on one set of lithium batteries, but there is also external power port located on the bottom so that you can use power packages or solar power kits.
SD card slot is located on the side of the camera (inside the case naturally) and you can use up to 32GB SD cards with this camera.
Moultrie M-990i Features
- 10 Megapixel Images
- HD video recording with sound (720p, max. 90 seconds clips)
- 32 No-Glow IR LED flash with range up to 70 ft
- Motion Freeze technology for clear nigh time images
- PIR sensor with motion detection range up to 50 ft
- Test Mode for testing the PIR sensor coverage area
- images stamped with time, date, moon phase, barometric pressure, temperature and camera ID info
- trigger speed less than 1 second, recovery time approx. 5 seconds
- programmable trigger delay (5, 10, 30 seconds or 1, 5, 10, 30 minutes)
- Multi-Shot and Burst Mode, 3 images per triggering
- Time Lapse mode with hybrid possibility (uses both time lapse and PIR triggering)
- LCD display for live aim preview, reviewing images and changing the settings
- backlit buttons for ease of viewing in low-lit conditions
- password protection to increase security
- SD Card slot up to 32GB (Class 4 or higher SD cards recommended)
- ¼” -20 socket for tripods and tree mounts
- USB output and external 12V power jack
- durable housing with Mossy Oak® Treestand Camouflage pattern
- Python cable lock compatible
- operates on 8 AA batteries
- One year warranty
This camera takes excellent images. Daytime images are sharp and colorful and night time shots are exceptionally good for a no-glow trail camera.
As M990i uses no-glow it is invisible for animals and humans alike. Thus you won’t spook the game with this camera or reveal the location of the camera if you are using it for surveillance.
LCD screen of this model is really handy. You can use it as a live preview screen when mounting your camera. And naturally it allows you to review the images and videos right there on the spot.
The battery life of this model is excellent, especially if you use lithium batteries.
Small size makes this camera easy to handle.
Setting up Moultrie M-990i can be somewhat tricky and the manual is not the most self-explanatory one.
The price is a little bit on the expensive side.
Moultrie M-990i is a great trail camera. It is not a surprise that it is a favorite gadget of many hunters but also a tool of many nature photographers out there. The images it takes are outstanding also during night time despite of no-low flash. It has everything you might need in a small package and it can be used in any application you may need it. Only major downside is the price, this model is not as affordable as we’d like it to be. On the other hand you won’t find many no-glow trail cameras with LCD viewing screen out there at this price.