In 2004 Stealth Cam went digital by introducing Wildview brand and combining digital cameras with the simple user interface in their trail cameras.
After these milestones, Stealth Cam has been leading the way in the development of hunting cameras by introducing the world’s first HD trail camera in 2009 and 3-in-1 trail camera (TRIAD) in 2010.
Stealth Cam G42 Review
Due to the increased amount of trail camera manufacturers and intensified competition Stealth Cam as a brand may not be as popular as it used to be in the early days of trail cameras. But that does not mean that they can’t make excellent trail cameras anymore.
Actually, the opposite is true, and Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo is a great example of that.
Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Camera is currently one of the best selling Stealth Cam models. It is not among the cheapest hunting cameras on the market today, but with a price of roughly $125 it surely belongs in the group of top affordable trail cameras.
Superb Image Quality
G42NG is a 10-megapixel no-glow trail camera, also capable of recording up to 180 second HD video clips with sound. G42NG actually allows you to select the image resolution from four different options (10MP, 8MP, 4MP, and 2MP).
We recommend purchasing the biggest possible SD card and then using the 10MP option of the camera as the images the camera produces with this full resolution are just outstanding.
There are also two options for the video resolution; 1280×720 and 720×480.
The flash of this Stealth Cam model is a beast. 42 no-glow IR emitters provide a range of 100ft. In some occasions the flash is almost too powerful, leading to white-out on close objects.
Otherwise, the night time shots are exceptionally good for a no-glow camera. There is plenty of illumination and very little graininess or blur in the night time shots.
Full of Features
Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo truly is a trail camera for those who love to play with different features. There is a burst mode that takes 1-9 shots per triggering, blur reducing option, time-lapse mode, time delay mode, test mode for testing detection area, etc.
One of the brilliant features is the Quick Set Mode that allows you to select from one of the three preprogrammed modes.
Preprogrammed modes are simply selected by slider switch and that’s all there is to it. And in case you are not happy with any of the preprogrammed modes, you can put the slider switch in the custom selection and program the camera the way you want it.
Lightning Fast, Excellent Detection
Stealth Cam G42NG is one of the fastest trail cameras on the market when it comes to trigger speed. Thanks to Stealth Cam’s Reflex™ technology the trigger speed is lightning fast 0.5 seconds and the shortest recovery time is only 5 seconds.
The detection area of the camera is both wide and deep. Stealth Cam uses so-called Multi-Zone detection that allows accurate coverage at angle & distance, maximizing the cameras triggering capability. G42NG can detect motion even up to 60ft.
Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Features
- adjustable image resolution 10,8,4 and 2 MP
- 16:9 image ratio
- full-color day pictures, black and white night pictures
- photos stamped with time, date, moon phase, temperature, name and Geo Tag GPS info
- HD video clips with audio up to 180 seconds (1280×720 or 720×480)
- trigger speed 0.5 seconds, recovery time 5 seconds
- 42 LED no-glow IR flash, range up to 100 ft
- detection range up to 60 ft.
- Quick Set Mode
- Burst mode; 1-9 images per trigger
- Delay mode; 5-59 seconds to 1-59 min trigger interval
- Time Lapse mode
- Test Mode
- backlit LCD status display
- operates on 8 AA batteries
- 12V external power jack
- Python® cable lock compatible
- ¼” -20 socket for tripods and tree mounts
- supports SD memory card up to 32GB
- weatherproof casing
- Dimensions 5.5” x 4.0” x 2.5”, 11.4 ounces
- one year warranty
- Daytime images are really top quality. Focus is perfect and the images are vivid and full of color. There is no blur in daytime pictures.
- Detection circuit works very well. As mentioned the trigger speed is lightning fast. The recovery time could be better but is still on a good level.
- G42NG is really easy to set up and thanks to Quick Set slider switch you have your camera up and running in no time.
- The case design is excellent. The case is durable and the camera can be mounted either by using a strap or external mount thanks to ¼” -20 sockets. The camera can be secured with Python cable and in addition protected with a password. A battery change is made really easy by a removable battery tray.
- In general night time shots of No-Glo trail cameras tend to be grainy and dim.
- Stealth Cam G42NG doesn’t have these problems so in that perspective the night time images are good. But the biggest problem is that the powerful flash white-outs the objects in close distance, especially if the objects are in the center of the image.
- Luckily this problem does not occur in every shot, and hopefully, this is an issue that will be fixed by a firmware update at some point in the near future.
G42NG is an excellent trail camera and goes to our Top Five list of affordable trail cameras. It offers excellent day time images and videos and plenty of features to play with. The only real problem of this model is the white-out in some night pictures. But in principle, there really is no good reason why you should not buy Stealth Cam G42NG.